Applications, Thematic Areas of Funding and Deadlines
To PREVIEW a sample application, click the appropriate link in the description below.
- Grant Program: Select for Programs, Projects or for General Operating. Application due dates vary based on the thematic area of funding, below.
Preview a sample Grant Program Application »
- Campership Application: Select for summer camp scholarships. Campership requests are reviewed annually in April. The application deadline is February 22, but applicants may submit as early as January to meet the application deadline.
Preview a sample Campership Application »
- Capital Application: Select for Construction or Technology Projects over $50,000. Funding may not be requested for endowments.
Preview a sample Capital Application »
Please note: The Foundation seldom participates in capital campaigns, and then only with organizations with whom the Foundation has had a long relationship. Capital requests are considered annually in October with decisions communicated before the end of the year. Applications should be submitted by August 1.
Thematic Areas of Funding and Deadlines
The Board of Directors considers requests by Thematic Areas of Funding. Please review the list below to determine which month most closely matches the theme of your organization’s work or request, then note the corresponding application deadline.
- January themes: Evangelism and Prayer, Eldercare, Catholic Elementary School Education-Related Programs (application deadline December 15)
- February themes: Youth Programs, Youth Welfare (application deadline January 15)
- March themes: Mentoring, Counseling, Catholic High School Education (application deadline February 7)
- April themes: Multi-Service, Illness, Senior Assistance (application deadline March 8) and Camperships (application deadline February 22)
- May themes: Shelter, Pregnancy and Life (application deadline April 6)
- June themes: Hunger, Literacy, Physically Challenged (application deadline May 11)
- August themes: Job Training, Medicine (application deadline June 15)
- October themes: Volunteerism, Catholic University Education, Detention Ministry, Research (application deadline August 15) and Capital Requests (application deadline August 1)
Note: The Foundation seldom participates in capital campaigns, and then only with organizations with whom the Foundation has had a long relationship.
- December themes: Support for the Religious, Seminaries, Chaplains (application deadline October 15)
Information and Tips
Thematic Areas of Funding, Deadlines, Eligibility and Criteria: The Board of Directors considers requests by Thematic Areas of Funding. Please see above to identify which month most closely matches the theme of your organization’s work and note the corresponding application deadline. Review Eligibility and Criteria to confirm qualifications for application.
Dates and Notification: Applications are reviewed by the Board the last Friday of the month, with exceptions due to holiday conflicts. The Board does not meet in July, September or November. The grant review process can take up to three months, then applicants are notified in writing after the Board’s decision.
Site Visits: Site visits are a regular part of the evaluation process. An applicant may be contacted by Foundation staff to arrange a visit that may last about an hour.
Internet Browsers: The application can be viewed from most web browsers, but Firefox and Chrome currently offer the best compatibility. The online system no longer supports versions of Internet Explorer older than IE 9.
Saving a Draft: Work is automatically saved every 20 minutes but may also be saved manually by clicking “Save as Draft” at the bottom of the application page. “Save As Draft” allows applicants to log off and log back in to continue working later.
Abandoning an Application: To withdraw an application, please email email@example.com with the name of your organization, the name of the application you wish to abandon and leave message stating that you wish to withdraw your submission. Applications left in draft for over 60 days will automatically be abandoned.
Document Upload Tips:
- Finalizing upload: Documents will not appear as uploaded until the “Save” button is clicked.
- File Size: There are size limitations to documents for uploads. The document maximum size is specified near the upload button. Document size can be decreased by removing pictures/graphics before uploading.
- Deleting or Replacing Uploads: To change/replace an upload, click “Upload,” then “Browse” and choose the new upload, then click “Save.” The old document will be overwritten.
- Uploading multiple documents: Only one document upload is allowed per question. If you have multiple files, combine them into one document before uploading.
- Formatting: PDF is the recommended file format, although Word or Excel may also be uploaded.