- Go to Grant Eligibility & Application. After reading all the included information and confirming that your organization is eligible, click the Begin Application button at the bottom of that page.
- Next, click the Create New Account button.
- Complete the required information to create a new account for your organization (an account is required to apply).
- When you are on your account homepage, you will see the word Apply in the menu bar at the top of the screen. Click Apply to begin your application.
- Go to Grant Eligibility & Application. After reading all the included information and confirming that your organization is still eligible, click Login to Your Existing Account at the bottom of that page.
- Next, enter your email address and password. Click Log On.
- When you are on your account homepage, you will see the word Apply in the menu bar at the top of the screen. Click Apply to begin a new application.
Returning Applicants with New User(s)
If you would like to add a new user to your current account or change current information, contact the Foundation or add the new user information to your application in the Additional Contact Information section of the application.
After login, you will see your name in the upper right-hand corner of the screen on the Applicant Dashboard. Click your name and you will see Edit Profile in the dropdown menu. Choose Edit Profile to make edits.
Meetings with the Board are rare and only at the Board’s request. If you have questions prior to applying, please contact the Foundation. Information submitted in an application is summarized and presented to the Board in writing by staff. It is important to include all pertinent information in the application in a clear and concise manner.
Please see Grant Eligibility & Application to review the deadline for your organization’s thematic area. Grant Applications submitted after the deadline for a specific thematic area will not be considered in the current year and your organization will need to reapply the following year.
The Board considers requests by common philanthropic themes, or “Thematic Areas of Funding.” To select the thematic area of funding you should consider the primary purpose of your organization or the primary purpose of your program. The primary purpose of an organization or the primary purpose of a program would be the best thematic area of funding. For instance, an organization that supports youth programs or is requesting funding for a specific youth program would select “Youth Programs” as the thematic area of funding. For further information or help with a selection, please contact us.
Applications are reviewed by the Board the last Friday of the month, with exceptions due to holiday conflicts. The Board does not meet in July, September or November. Organizations that meet the Foundation’s funding guidelines may submit a request once per year. If your organization meets the criteria for submitting a Capital request, you may submit both your annual grant request and your capital request.
You may request whatever amount is needed, but it is suggested that you refer to the Grant Awards to review organizations that are similar to yours.
Capital requests are for construction or technology projects over $50,000. Note: The Foundation seldom participates in capital campaigns, and then only with organizations that have had a long relationship with the Foundation. Deadline for submission is August 1.
Mrs. Doheny directed the Board to emphasize funding in four funding areas: Social Welfare, Health and Wellness, Education, and Religion. Please refer to Mission & Mandate and Gallery of Giving for more information about these four areas of funding. Organizations that apply must be a verified non-profit.
Grant requests are not considered for: Publishing books, travel, advertisement, individual scholarship, political purposes in any form, endowments, local government agencies, and television or radio programs.
Yes. Most funding is limited to Los Angeles County. The Foundation does not fund organizations or work that is done outside of the United States.
Please see our Funding Map for more information ›
Within 30 minutes of submitting an application, you should receive a confirmation email that your application has been received. Once your application is submitted, it can take up to three months for it to be processed. If you have not heard from the Board about their decision within that period or have questions about the process, application, or any other area of concern, please contact us and staff will be happy to assist you.