The University Catholic Center at UCLA began as a Newman Club in 1919 under the direction of the Paulist Fathers; the first director on the Westwood campus was Fr. Charles Conaty in 1924. In 1941, the diocese of Los Angeles purchased a sorority house and the Newman Center moved to Hilgard Avenue where it grew for 50 years and became known as the University Catholic Center. Shortly before Christmas 1999, a new UCC building was dedicated and opened at 633 Gayley Avenue.
The UCC is committed to being a Christian witness within the UCLA community. Inspired by the Paulist charism, it seeks to form disciples of Jesus Christ who will be leaders of the Church and the world.
As a devout Roman Catholic, Mrs. Doheny was fervent in her desire to share her Christian faith with others and to further the social teachings of the Church. Each year the UCC attracts hundreds of students who desire to gain a deeper understanding of their Christian faith, a commitment to fellowship, and intellectual pursuits.